Tabaqui was a male jackal that lived in the jungle.
He fed on scraps from either Shere Khan or the wolves of the Seeonee Pack. He was unpopular with the wolves, due to his mock cordiality, and habit of sucking up to Shere Khan. He visited Mowgli's adoptive parents, Mother and Father Wolf shortly before Mowgli's arrival, and they were clearly annoyed by his presence, since he announced that Shere Khan the tiger was hunting in their territory. Tabaqui was later killed by one of Mowgli's 'siblings', Grey Brother, who crushes his back.
Tabaqui has been featured in a few film/animated Jungle Book adaptations, but usually portrayed as a hyena. Coincidentally because hyenas are also scavengers.
- In Chuck Jones' made for-TV cartoon Mowgli's Brothers, Tabaqui is accurately portrayed as the sniveling Jackal who serves Shere Khan. Even so, people who see the program, and know Chuck Jones, would think of Wile E. Coyote of Looney Tunes fame, because of how Tabaqui looks identical to him in the cartoon. He was voiced by Roddy McDowall.
- In the anime series Jungle Book Shonen Mowgli, Tabaqui is a striped hyena, while in the live-action movie The Jungle Book: Mowgli's Story, Tabaqui is portrayed as a spotted hyena, that is very strange because spotted hyenas live only in Africa and are not solitary animals.
- Tabaqui is one of few characters from the book that did not appear in Disney's Jungle Book, but his name was given to one of the minor antagonistic men in Disney's 1994 live action film adaptation.
- Tabaqui is set to appear in the 2018 latest adaptation ‘’Mowgli’’ where he will be voiced by Tom Hollander. Here, he will be portrayed as a striped hyena.
- Toto/Cassius the Black Leopard from Kimba the White Lion character to resemble by Tabaqui the Spotted Hyena rip-off at Africa and India, expect for Aryll's New World from Astro Boy Productions, renamed of Tabaqui.