Baloo taught the cubs of the Seeonee wolf pack the Law of the Jungle. His most challenging pupil was the "man-cub" Mowgli; despite Bagheera's objections he sometimes found it necessary to use corporal punishment against Mowgli, although when called upon to defend the man-cub against the Bandar-log he did not hesitate. Baloo was one of Mowgli's mentors. He, Bagheera and Kaa sang for Mowgli "The Outsong" of the jungle.
In Disney productionsEdit
A character named Baloo, based on Kipling's creation, has also appeared in various Disney productions, starting with that company's feature-length version of The Jungle Book. In this version, Baloo is an easygoing and fun-loving character who shirks responsibility -- seemingly far removed from the law teacher in Kipling's book. This version of the character has appeared in animated series, Baloo and King Louie (TV series) (as a adult bear), Jungle Cubs (as a child) and Disney's House of Mouse (as a guest), as well as a feature-length sequel to the animated movie. He also made a cameo appearance in the Disney on Ice play, Disney Presents Pixar's The Incredibles in a Magic Kingdom Adventure, meeting up with Violet. Disney's Baloo is arguably the most popular character in The Jungle Book. Baloo was made famous the song The Bare Necessities, sung by Phil Harris, in which he tells Mowgli how a life of leisure can be achieved by living off the land - if you know the tricks.
- Baloo Latin for hullabaloo slang.
- Baloo Common name for small pet Chihuaua Dogs, Otherwise knows as Bibis and Mehen.
- Baloo is also the pen name of cartoonist Rex F. May.
- Like all of the main Jungle Book Characters, Baloo is used as a name for an adult leader in many Cub Scout Packs.
- In the Scouting world, BALOO is an acronym for Basic Adult Leader Outdoor Orientation, a BSA course for adult Cub Scout Leaders wherein they learn the fundamental skills for taking Cub Scouts on an overnight campout.
- In Hindi, his name (बालू ) means "sand".
- They get different species of bears to portray as Baloo. There is one species of brown bear that lives in India, it's the Himalayan Brown Bear. In the original novel, Baloo is described as a sleepy, brown bear, a teacher of the Law of the Jungle and Mowgli's best friend.
- In the 1967 version of Walt Disney's "The Jungle Book", he's portrayed as a Sloth Bear, meanwhile in the Russian version, he's portrayed as an Asian Black Bear.
- In the 1994 remake of "The Jungle Book", Baloo is portrayed by a Cinnamon Bear.
- In the live-action television shows and movies, they have Baloo portrayed by an American Black Bear.